Did you know that at least 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men over the age of 50 will suffer from an osteoporotic fracture in their lifetime?
Believe it or not, fractures due to osteoporosis are more common than heart attack, stroke, and breast cancer – combined! What are you doing to protect your bones? Keep reading to learn natural ways you can prevent osteoporosis!
What is Osteoporosis, anyways?
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue. It causes your bones to become weak, brittle, and ultimately prone to fractures. It’s known as “the silent thief” because this bone loss happens without you even knowing.
Certain things make you more susceptible to Osteoporosis. For instance:
• Being a postmenopausal woman
• Having a calcium-deficient diet
• If you are a thin, petite woman
• Lead a sedentary lifestyle
• Drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day
• If osteoporosis runs in the family
What can you do to protect yourself from the disease?
Natural Ways to Prevent Osteoporosis
There are a few easy things you can do to protect yourself naturally. In a nutshell, if you wish to decrease your chances of developing osteoporosis:
• Eat more fruits and vegetables.
• Increase your intake of alkaline food and decrease your intake of acidic food.
• Make sure to eat enough protein! Proteins are important for the basic framework of the bone.
• Maintain an exercise program including weight bearing exercises (yes ladies – lift those weights!).
• Avoid soft drinks.
• Avoid smoking, excess alcohol and sugar intake.
• Supplement with some of the following:
o Calcium! The body needs approximately 1,000 to 1,500 mg of calcium per day. Unfortunately, we don’t always get this from our diet.
o To aid with calcium absorption, consider taking a co-factor like Copper, zinc, manganese, silica, boron and selenium.
o Vitamins K1, K2 and the presence of “good” intestinal bacteria help maintain your bones.
o Lycopene help bones stay strong and disease-free.
o Fish oil – EPA and DHA – increases calcium absorption and reduces inflammation.
A Few Calcium-rich Foods That Protect Your Bones
• Mustard greens
• Turnip greens
• Brazil nuts
• Dried beans
• Sardines canned with their soft bones
Psst…notice that milk isn’t listed? Learn why by clicking here.