Have you ever thought about visiting a chiropractor but you are unsure about how chiropractic care can benefit you? You’re in the right place because we are going to give you the inside scoop on chiropractic care and what you need to know before your first adjustment. We’re answering a few of our new patients’ most frequently asked questions, with the hopes of checking off some questions that you too may have been curious about.
What Exactly Does a Chiropractor Do?
If you think of a chiropractor, “back cracking” may come to mind. The “back cracking” that you might be thinking of is actually spinal adjustments. While chiropractors adjust spines, they are really in the business of helping people live their most optimal life. How do chiropractors do this? Well, these health care professionals are nervous system and spine health experts, and work to restore your spine’s natural movement with your body.
Additionally, chiropractors are trained to treat all kinds of pain including, but not limited to: neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, headaches, and various injuries. If you are experiencing pain or discomfort in any of the aforementioned areas, a visit to a chiropractor is certainly worth it!
Why is Spine Health so Important?
Your central nervous system is responsible for communication between your body parts and is made up of both your brain and spinal cord. Messages are carried up and down your spinal cord – to and from your brain. Your spine acts like a coat of armour to protect your spinal cord at all costs. Over time, your spine can experience wear and tear from your daily activities, which may impact the nervous system’s ability to communicate effectively to your brain and body (injuries and bad posture are examples). Pain such as neck or back pain are often indicators that your spine may need attending to. If left untreated, chronic pain can develop down the road and severely impact your daily life.
Is Chiropractic Care a One Time Fix?
Unlike traditional pain medications, the goal of chiropractic care is to get to the root of the problem, rather than simply suppressing the symptoms . Oftentimes, more than one adjustment is needed to create a long lasting impact. Your chiropractor will work with you to create a care plan that suits your condition best.
What are Some of the Benefits of Chiropractic Care?
There are many benefits of chiropractic care, some of the benefits that our patients experience include:
- A non-invasive, drug-free option
- Personalized care plans
- Pain relief and prevention
- Headache and tension relief
- Can help prevent injuries
- Improved posture
- Improved overall health and wellbeing
What Will My First Appointment Look Like?
At Sante Chiropractic & Wellness Centre, our goal is to make our patients feel comfortable, informed, and heard. Your first visit is a chance for us to get to know more about you and your condition. You will be guided through an initial assessment where you share your health history and identify past experiences or injuries that may have contributed to your condition. Next, examinations of your spine will be conducted to help your chiropractor better understand your condition. If you would like to learn more about what you can expect read more here.
- Rosner AL. Chiropractic Identity: A Neurological, Professional, and Political Assessment. J Chiropr Humanit 2016;23(1):35-45.
- de Souza R, Ebrall P. Understanding wellness in a contemporary context of chiropractic practice. Chiropr Aust 2008;38(1):12-16.
- Schuster TL, Dobson M, Jauregui M, et al. Wellness lifestyles II: Modeling the dynamic of wellness, health lifestyle practices, and Network Spinal Analysis. J Altern Complement Med 2004;10(2):357-67.
- Henderson CN. The basis for spinal manipulation: Chiropractic perspective of indications and theory. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2012.
- Haavik H, Murphy B. The role of spinal manipulation in addressing disordered sensorimotor integration and altered motor control. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2012;22(5):768-76.
- Haavik Taylor H, Holt K, Murphy B. Exploring the neuromodulatory effects of the vertebral subluxation and chiropractic care. Chiropr Aust 2010;40(1):37-44.
- Herzog W, Zhang YT, Conway PJ, et al. Cavitation sounds during spinal manipulative treatments.
Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics 1993;16(8):523-6.