From hot flashes to mood swings, most women experience a range of symptoms when going through menopause. Luckily, there are natural ways to reduce menopause symptoms – and chiropractic care is one of them
What is Menopause?
By definition menopause is one year without a menstrual period. Most North American women will experience menopause at around the age of 50. During this time, the ovaries begin to limit estrogen production, forcing the adrenal glands to take over. Those with balanced hormones will likely go through menopause with ease. However, those with hormonal imbalances are likely to experience symptoms like:
• Irregular periods
• Hot flashes
• Night sweats
• Problems sleeping
• Mood changes
• Weight gain and slowed metabolism
• Thinning of hair and dry skin
As we have said time and time again, symptoms are your body’s way of letting you know that something is wrong. A hormone imbalance is often the cause of issues during menopause. Many women turn to estrogen replacement therapy but this has many risks including: breast cancer, heart disease and stroke.
What can you do if you suffer from menopause symptoms?
5 Ways to Reduce Annoying Menopause Symptoms Naturally!
1. Take a Supplement! When it comes to hormones, Lorna Vanderhaeghe is queen! Her range of supplements, which include EstroSMART and MenoSMART have helped thousands of women rebalance their hormones. If you’d like to learn more check out Lorna’s book Smart Guide to Hormones (available at the clinic) or watch my hormone talk here.
2. Eat Well! A healthy, whole food diet is key to balancing your hormones. It doesn’t have to be complicated. Fill three quarters of your plate with a variety of fresh, organic vegetables. Then add a high quality, clean source of protein like: organic, free range poultry, eggs, or wild fish. Top it off with a serving of good fat like: avocado, nuts and seeds and their cold pressed organic oil, or coconut oil. And voila!
3. Move More! Did you know that regular exercise could help ease symptoms of menopause by enhancing certain key hormones? Choose an activity you enjoy and get moving!
4. Stress Less! Stress wreaks havoc on our hormones, especially the adrenals which are kicked into high gear during menopause. When it comes down to it, healthy adrenal glands are the key to effortless menopause. Practice stress management techniques like yoga, deep breathing, or meditation daily.
5. Get Adjusted! The nervous system controls every organ, tissue and cell in your body including your hormonal system. A healthy nervous system is the foundation of healthy hormones. Your Wellness Chiropractor is trained to detect and remove any misalignments in your spine that may be compromising your nervous system.
Do you have a friend or loved one who is suffering through menopause? Share this blog with them and encourage them to book an appointment today!